What I though to be a average day turned out to be the most exciting day I have ever had in Finland. The day started at 6.00 A.M. February, 3, 2012. I was not looking forward to the 3 hour train ride from Mikkeli to Helsinki. However I used my creative mind and decided that I would try something new. As soon as I arrived at the train station I started typing on my phone a stream of consciousness styled story. I wrote everything that came to my mind or at least everything i was able to write before the next thought came. However I did not get too far as the train then arrived. I was excited to see who I would get to sit next to since I have always bad luck on airplanes, trains, and buses with seating partners. My bad luck struck again and the seat next to me stayed empty. However sitting across from me there were two German business men in their 70s and so after I started talking to them I forgot about my story. I started interviewing them out of interest and as something that I could use in a project I am working on in school. Due to the competition I will not give more details on what we discussed. In Helsinki there was a heavy snow storm and therefor the train arrived an hour late. Luckily I had come with a early train so I was not in any crisis. I went over to the camera store nearby and found myself a new used camera lens. Then I hunted for a place to eat and finally decided to eat at a Indian restaurant. After my meal I left the train station for my interviews. It took me a while to find the right street, but even then I made it to the Kepa office 45 minutes before my appointment. Finally at one in the afternoon my interview started. I was supposed to have two interviews but the people at Kepa decided that since the two jobs were so similar they would host one interview with representatives from both offers. The interview was not what I was prepared for. First twenty-five minutes they asked me questions and then I was put into a room with a 2800 word article and given instructions to edit and shorten the article into a 1200 word piece in 30 minutes. The interview ended and I return to the train station to find out that all the seats on both the 3.12 and 4.20 train to Mikkeli were full. I asked if there was any way to get on and then she offered me business class so I traveled back in Business class. There really was no difference than wider seats and free coffee, tea, and cookies. And that was my day.

No comments:
Post a Comment